Thursday, April 8, 2010

September 11th

September 11, 2009
It seems like only yesterday. I was a freshman in high school and was in my first period class when the first plane hit. We were watching live when the second plane hit, and to top it off, we had a bomb threat at our school by 3rd period. We all thought the world was ending. The scariest part? I wasn't saved. I had tons of friends that went to church, but none invited me. I remember sitting there, frozen in fear, wondering what would happen to our country, and what would happen to me. I'm so thankful to those that are fighting for us now. I'm thankful that now that I am saved, I have the right to go next door to someone I don't know, introduce myself and ask if they know Jesus. I remember being in awe when I went to Austin Peay State my sophomore year of college because of all the uniforms. (It's right beside Ft. Cambell Army base, so TONS of our students were soldiers.) They had been in school for years, getting in classes between deployments. One man in my Greek class had been deployed while in college SIX times! He never complained, only joked about it. He was happy to do it. He was even GLAD. To this day, I get so weepy just seeing a police officer pulling someone over. Crazy, I realize, but rescue workers, firefighters, police officers, soldiers, nurses, doctors, teachers....I know that no matter who they are, that because of what they are, they would help me and my daughter if and when it was needed. I'm even rambling now because I can't express my gratefulness enough and my honor for such people. Thank you. Please don't forget today.

Oh, Lord, thank you that you instilled in the hearts of some of your children such a fierce loyalty and protective instinct that they're willing to spend years fighting for our freedom, and the freedom of others. Thank you that even though our hearts can't wrap around all that You did for us sometimes, You've given us a tiny sample of it in these men and women. How amazing that you allowed us to be born in America when so many others don't have any opportunities at freedom, shelter, food, water, and other things that we take for granted. Help me to remember 9/11. Help us to remember it and please, do bless America. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment