Thursday, April 8, 2010

Girls Retreat

March 8, 2010
This past weekend, the central university girls were given the opportunity to spend a couple of days at the Nix's cabin in Mountain Home. It was absolutely beautiful and had an amazing view that blew us all away. Sunday, when we left, I stood alone and looked at the view. I had marveled all weekend over that view. The hills and the lake from such a height, but on Sunday, I stood there looking out and marveling instead on how beautiful the women were that came on the trip. I was blown away at the loveliness of these young women as I got to know them, not only in their talents and personalities, but in their hearts.
We went over images of sisterhood in the Bible all weekend and looked at the stories of Leah and Rachel, Naomi and Ruth, and the women that ministered to Jesus and followed Him to the cross and discovered He was risen first. I'm so glad that God chose to teach us, and especially me, some very hard lessons that should be taken to heart while I became involved in the details of these girls' lives. I think the biggest lesson I learned, however, did not come from a big group discussion or the study guide that I constantly made in my journal. It came late Saturday night. Almost everyone was asleep, the lights were almost all turned out, and typical me was washing all the paint brushes that still had paint on them from crafts. (I have a fear of things ruining) One other girl was still awake, working on her canvas, trying to capture her perspective of the bible studies over the weekend. She's only been to Elevate (our wednesday night service for the university) a couple of times and decided to come this weekend. I, honestly, do not know her that well, but I'll tell you, this girl is absolutely beautiful, physically and inside. She has an amazing talent with art and her canvas was about 100 times better than mine haha. The lesson however, came not in her beauty or talent, as much as her determination. She is also a young mother, and I knew she was tired and had been tired for awhile, but wanted to finish something she had put so much time and effort and herself into.
I stood at the sink washing I think 500 paint brushes at almost 3 in the morning and watched her, pondering my relationship with God. What a beautiful romantic relationship I could have with Him. I put so much of myself into it sometimes, and time, and effort, only to give up when I feel defeated by the clock, the world, or myself. But how simply beautiful it is that He doesn't? He is that young girl. He has worked in you, put a piece of Himself into you, devoted time and energy on you, and He knows what beauty your masterpiece holds. He can see the finished product when we can not, and He knows that that part that looks like it doesn't fit into the canvas or doesn't match the rest will be influential in making His work one of a kind.
So, on Sunday, I thanked Him for that. I looked at the lake and the sky and the view and saw for a second what He saw in His young daughters. Grace and beauty.

For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. --2 Corinthians 4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment