Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lessons Learned Through London

November 21, 2009
Motherhood continues to hand me more lessons learned in short time periods than any other experience thus far. Lately, I've learned two very important ones. First of which is satisfaction and faith. Other than a bit of an attitude developed a little early, London is an extremely happy baby. She's a serious ham and loves to be the center of attention. I love watching her reactions when I come into the room and her faith in me as her mother and provider. When she's upset, hungry, wet, hurt, ect, she comes straight to me. Normally, it's a whiney crawl with fake or real tears and an constant "mamamama." She doesn't look to her toys to help her. She doesn't try to crawl into the kitchen alone and fix herself something to eat. She comes to the one who she knows can help her. That's a lesson I'm struggling to learn, being a serious control freak. There is One that can provide so much more than I could ever dream of giving my little one, and yet, many times, I attempt to make due on my own or look to others or things to help me. I'm very thankful for my little constant reminder of God's provision.
Secondly, I'm seeing new details in the life of Jesus that I never noticed before. As a mother of a young child, you don't "get tired" anymore, you are tired. It's a constant state that you learn to function in. It's very easy to use it as a crutch or excuse. So many times now, I see in the accounts of Jesus' life time after time when it's "late in the night" or "early in the morning" and He secrets away to be alone with God. Can you imagine how tired this 100% man, yet 100% God was? The man part must have been exhausted. People were constantly questioning, testing, asking, demanding of Him, and He gave and gave all day. There wasn't a time that He figured, "I'm exhausted...I'll hang out with my dad tomorrow." He couldn't wait to get alone with God. I've been told before that when the last thing you want to do is read your Bible, that's when you most need to. How true, and how successful. I just want to encourage other moms, no matter how old your children are. It's easy for me to use London as a crutch for a passive spiritual life and I don't want to do that anymore. In the words of Angela Thomas, "I know your kids are the busiest kids that have ever lived," but it's important to care for your own soul :)

No comments:

Post a Comment