Friday, July 2, 2010

Getting to know my Father through London & Daddy :)

I never had a close relationship to my dad. My parents divorced when I was young, and he moved for a job when I was in grade school. From lack of opportunity, we were just never given many times to really truly learn who each other was. Because of this reason, I'm intrigued watching London and Lance interact and live. With each month, she grows a little physically and grows sooo much in personality. As she's learning and living, I get to watch her follow her Daddy around, make him read to her, tie her tutu on, and things of this nature.
What I'm learning by watching them is that London knows her Daddy. She knows that if she smiles and says "peees" (please) that he'll read her a book no matter what he has going on. She knows what reaction to expect and she knows what she can and can't get away with around him. All this, a 16 month old has learned by spending time with him and him being there to play, comfort, and support her. So, I sit and think, what am I doing, reading book after book about God, doing in depth studies on the Greek words of the fruits of the spirit, and so on? Not that I'm not reaping blessings from those, or that He's not showing Himself to me in that, but not like He would if I'd be more willing to crawl into His lap to read His word. Or, like He would if when I was upset or hurt, I raised my hands to Him; if He was the source of my nourishment and living water.
This is something He's been trying to teach me for so long, and something I'm sure I'll continue to forget and have to be reminded of, but I'm glad He picked such a beautiful image to show me each day to open my eyes.

1 comment:

  1. It is so positive for me to read this as I have often worried about Kayla. She hasn't had the best role model for a father growing up, but I hope she continues learning about her father in heaven and will follow His lead.

    ReplyDelete