Sunday, January 22, 2012

Peace, practically.

I've been reading so many good posts lately about the words that women have been claiming over this new year. Peace was the word I settled on a couple of weeks ago. It was the word I felt 2011 missed most in my life. The verse written on our framed chalkboard in the kitchen for me to see regularly is Philippians 4:7, but I would have written more of its context if I'd had the room.




Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7 NIV




Every once in awhile, I will be reading a book of the Bible and stumble upon verses I've read who knows how many times and all of a sudden, they have clear, precise, and complete practical application. These verses supplied one of those moments recently. Paul has broken down the path to peace here so that even I can understand it.

Rejoice in the Lord! Be gentle. Do not be anxious. Be thankful. Present petitions to God. And you will have peace.


Rejoice, be glad or happy, in the Lord, not sad or unhappy. Be gentle, even in hard times, don't be rough or harsh. Don't carry worry around or stress about things that won't add another minute to your life. Gratefully go before God with petitions instead of ungratefully venting to Him. and you have it. Peace. not just peace, but peace that transcends all understanding, and will guard your heart AND your mind in Christ!

So many things about the Christian walk is so over analyzed or complicated, that I feel such a relief when I feel like something that has felt so impossible suddenly feels attainable. sigh...peace. Not a single moment, not a cup of coffee and book before my kids spill it on the pages, not a place, not a pinterest picture, peace...the peace of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment