Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Recovery

today, I'm recovering. just a minor operation, but it's left me on the couch a day or two.

I've never recovered before.
I've never taken the time,
even with two babies, I never even slowed
and this perspective is new to me.

the house is quiet, and I'm marvelling at the home we have.
the washing machine is running, without me.
a chubby baby is sleeping peacefully, without me.
our little home is still here.

I've noticed anew the large framed pictures on walls,
little notes and signs that were meant to serve as reminders
that I simply pass by each day,
busy with some new importance.

they were supposed to remind me of who I am, or at least want to be.
to remind me of people and faith,
of little faces behind the stickiness and dirt.
but I forgot anyway.

maybe I don't sit down enough?
but then, there's another thing to add to a to-do list.
maybe I never simply am.
yes, that's it, I believe.

I do.
I do laundry.
I do dishes.
I do diaper changes.

but..I am.
I am partner, not just wife.
I am friend, not just disciplinary.
I am daughter, not just mother.

pupil.
mistake maker.
strong.
loving.

I think this may be my new favorite seat in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment